Monday, November 3, 2008

Sculpty Rings and Black Beeswax

The above image is from They have beautiful $1300 gold Enochian rings for sale. If I had the cash I would gladly plunk it down. I however am on a sculpty budget and not a gold budget :)

Gold Sculpty will set you back about $2 at your local craft shop. I made my first set of two designs last week. They were functional but certainly lacked some form.

Tonight I modified the technique and made a paper form the size of my finger. I squished the clay until it was pliable. Then I rolled it out on lexan using very primative tools and my fingers. When I was happy it was about 1/4 inch thick. I cut the whole shape out of the clay and then carved the design. OK carved is a bit of a stretch, it was more of an exacto knife and corsage pin convincing of the clay to move. Once I was done poking and prodding it, I wrapped it around the form and joined the two ends to make a band.

I have an exquisite scorch mark on my left ring finger from my innability to be patient and let it cool before trying it on. I like my ring and I think that it will work just peachy. I will have to wait until the morning to see if the good Fraters ring will work.

If not I will make more until we get what we want :) So far the 4 rings have set me back $2 and I still have enough clay for at least 2 more rings.

The only problem I have is, what do you do with the prototypes? Like all things in this field, it becomes a storage issue...

So back to the beeswax.

I purchased 3 blocks of black wax dye from The good Frater and I spent a fair bit of the weekend discussing the approach. He is much more conservative and always wants to go slowly and build. I am not always burdened with discretion. We compramized to 1/3 of the block that is about 250 % more than what is called for by weight.

When we got back home on Sunday I could not wait to melt the beeswax and give it a go. It takes almost an hour a pop to melt the wax. This was already my second melting. So I carefully added the 1/3 of the block and uhm... nothing. Well that is not true. Upon drying it did turn a SLIGHT muddy gray. I was beside myself. I immediately remelted the wax and placed the whole thing in there.


You need the whole block of dye to get the beeswax to change to a dark black. Even then I needed to stir it into the solution very carefully. As it was solidifying it was the most glorious scrying mirror. Too bad it always solidifies at room temperature. It was spiffy.

When I have more brains and time I will get much more detailed on the process. Right now it is done and I am pleased. Hopefully I can get the camera going and get pictures up.

No comments: